Yes, You Can!
Get Out of Pain Through Yoga and Mindfulness
Are you in pain?
Are you tired of going from one hopeful remedy to another ...pills, countless tests, massages, chiropractic adjustments, physiotherapy? And maybe nothing really helps, at least not for long. It can feel as if your body has become the enemy. Gradually, perhaps without realizing it, you’ve withdrawn from activities that you love, and are feeling limited by your pain.
If you’ve suffered from pain for over 3 months, you may have chronic pain. Chronic pain is different from acute pain, which may be related to tissue injury. With chronic pain, the injury may have healed, but the nervous system has become hyperactive and excitable.*
The good news is that pain can be changed. And in my 6-week, one-on-one program, Yes You Can! Get Out of Pain Through Gentle Yoga and Mindfulness, I’ll guide you through the practices that will help you move with ease and strength toward the life you love, without being limited by pain.
In this 6-week program, you’ll
- Understand the neuroscience of chronic pain: Learn how and why your brain keeps playing the same “pain tune” – and how to teach it to play a new, happier tune.
- Uncover the deep muscular and structural movement patterns that keep you “stuck” in pain: Practise new, healthier, more functional patterns and feel stress and tension melt away.
- Feel the intimate connection between body and breath: Discover why breath awareness is the first step in relieving your pain, and with gentle breath practices, begin to open to greater ease and comfort.
- Learn why gentle movement, relaxation and deep awareness are also key to relieving pain: Become more confident at practising these vital skills, and feel more in control of your pain relief.
- Discover why goals are an important part of the journey towards pain-free living. Reconnect with what you love to do: Set goals and stay focused as you practise the skills that you need to move forward. As you reclaim your body and feel more ease, strength and flexibility, you also begin to reclaim the activities that you love.
Commit to practising the skills you’ll learn in this program for six weeks, and you’ll be amazed at what you can do.
- A 1-hour tutorial on the science of chronic pain (research shows that understanding the science behind chronic pain can help to relieve pain). This tutorial can be in person or on Skype.
- Six weekly 1-hour in-person private yoga sessions with me, where you’ll learn and practise the skills that will deeply support you on your journey toward slowing down, relieving pain and living joyfully.
- Your own personalized home practice program.
* Please discuss with your trusted health care practitioner whether gentle yoga is suitable for you. Therapeutic yoga assists in fostering health and well-being, but does not diagnose.
"Thanks to her guidance, I can feel my chronic pain lessening for the first time in over a year."
"Before I met Donna, I had been suffering from chronic pain caused by severe muscle tension for nearly a year, having had little success with physiotherapy. Donna has helped me to decrease tension and pain, and to be more aware of the relationships between movement, breathing, and tension.
Donna takes a gentle and compassionate approach to healing, emphasizing gentle gains." -- - Katherine M.
"Donna has shown me the way back to a life that is largely pain free."
“ I came to Donna about a year ago with a chronic back injury resulting from a car accident. Through her proven techniques, kind encouragement, and caring nature, Donna has shown me the way back to a life that is largely pain free.
I can once again walk straight, go down stairs without turning sideways, get in and out of cars with relative ease, and sit at my desk for longer than I probably should! Since the accident, I have been dreaming of one day being able to skate again. Today, I am awfully close to strapping those skates back on. For this I am very, very grateful.” --Barbara K.
"The morning after my session with Donna, the pain was gone - it felt like a miracle!"
"I had a one-on-one session with Donna as I had a repetitive knitting injury (I know it sounds daft) – over the years the pain would be so bad I had to stop knitting for weeks and weeks, I couldn’t lift my arm, put my coat on or put my seatbelt on.
Donna taught me how to explore the pain I was experiencing and how to adjust my breathing so I could explore what was “safe”. By practising what she taught me I have been able to ease the pain I was in. Now, when I have knitted too much I know what to do to alleviate the pain. I’m so thankful!
Working with Donna was a very enlightening experience. She is very knowledgeable about how the “pain system” works and taught me how to explore and alleviate my symptoms. I can’t recommend a private session with her highly enough. Many, many thanks. -- - Dawn S.
"The therapeutic yoga work I did with Donna made a huge difference."
"By the time I met Donna, I was at the end of my rope. I had suffered from worsening back pain and spasms for five years, and I just wanted to get back to normal and do the things I loved again. I had worked with many practitioners but I couldn’t seem to get to the point of being consistently active and having fun like I used to. I was also tired of having to deal with it each day.
Donna’s approach with me was refreshing. She listened and acknowledged the emotional aspects of being limited by a chronic pain. She didn’t get caught up in the pressure I put on myself to “fix it fast.” Instead, she helped me take my physical needs seriously, and to find a sense of safety again with my back and in my body.
I was able to go on a week-long downhill ski trip for the first time in years! I had no back pain and felt confident and thrilled to feel the wind on my face as I skied down the mountain. It was so exciting, and now I can’t wait for the warmer weather to get out and do more of the things I love. Thanks Donna!" -- - Maggie D.
Cost: $650 (includes HST)
To discover if this program is right for you, please contact me at 416-859-0585 or fill out the comment form below for a free consultation.
HST# 80714 0991 RT0001
Neil Pearson, physiotherapist / yoga therapist, and Antonio Sausys, somatic psychotherapist / yoga therapist, discuss how therapeutic yoga helps with Chronic Pain.
Professor Lorimer Moseley, Chair in Physiotherapy and Professor of Clinical Neurosciences at the University of South Australia, suggests we need to reframe our understanding of pain.
Copyright © 2015